Sand sculpture created in 2016 by Stéphane Robert, noted Austin artist, to illustrate Austin’s commitment in developing a comprehensive Policy on Family and Seniors (Photo: Jean-Claude Duff)
Seniors – the generations that precede us – are our roots. They are persons of experience who bring vital strength to our society and community.
Mayor Lisette Maillé
Austin Policy on Family and Seniors
Here is an overview of the activities, resources and municipal services of interest to seniors.
Assistance for Family Caregivers
Formed by a group of our fellow citizens, the Comité d’Action Sentinelles d’Austin (CASA) helps sustain a volunteer, preventive movement by actively assisting isolated, vulnerable family caregivers living in Austin to secure support services.
A number of community events for both children and adults are organised each year by Austin’s various committees. Announcements are made:
- in the bulletin board of the English Home page
- in the Actualités Austin Newsletter – PSST! Are you a subscriber?
- by postings on the municipal bulletin boards
- on the Municipality of Austin’s Facebook page
- in the community sections of the Brome County News and Le Reflet du Lac newspapers (whenever possible)
Austin’s Cultural Committee organises and sponsors a variety of cultural activities throughout the year.
Declaration under oath
Do you need to make a declaration under oath? The Mayor, Councillors and Secretary-Treasurer of a municipality can administer the oath in the same manner as a Commissioner for oaths. Details >
Austin’s Goods and Services Directory: Revised annually, Austin’s Directory is right at the centre of the « Buy Local » movement, promoting goods and services produced in Austin as well as keeping the community spirit alive and well with its Community section (« volet communautaire »).
Seniors’ Ressources Directory: Published each year (in French) by the Table de concertation des aînés Memphrémagog, the Bottin-Agenda des ressources pour les aînés contains a comprehensive list of the services and ressources available to seniors and caregivers. Get your free copy at Town Hall today!
Seniors can take advantage of a number of provincial and municipal programs and rebates.
- Austin Livres-service Library: The Austin Free Library is a self-serve library where you can borrow books, CDs and DVDs in both French and English. Located downstairs at Town Hall, the library is open during office hours.
- Little Free Libraries: Make free use (24/7!) of these small bookcases installed here and there on the territory.
- Memphremagog Library: Complements the offering of our local library. The Municipality refunds the cost of the annual subscription upon proof of payment.
The Municipality of Austin provides transportation for handicaped citizens. The service is operated by the Memphremagog MRC.
Parks and Green Spaces
Many of Austin’s parks and green spaces feature granite benches, flower gardens and interpretation panels.
A lighted pétanque court at the Municipal Park awaits all bocce amateurs!