The Municipality’s vibrancy cannot be sustained without the presence of youth. By enticing young families to live, work and play here, we will energize our community and gain the means to achieve a sound intergenerational balance.
The following is a directory of the services and activities available to young families in Austin.
- Austin Families on Facebook
Familles d’Austin/Austin Families
This bilingual group has been created on Facebook to bring together Austin families with children 0-18 years and promote exchange between them. It is a closed group so you must identify yourself to join in. Two Austin moms act as administrators.
- Community Events
Austin’s Recreation Committee hosts a variety of community events for both children and adults. The announcements are made:
- by postings on the bulletin board of the English Home page
- in the Actualités Austin Newsletter – Are you a subscriber?
- on the municipal bulletin boards
- in our Facebook page
- in the community sections of the Brome County News and Le Reflet du Lac newspapers (when feasible)
- Austin Livres-service Library: Look up the children’s book collection at your local library, located downstairs at Town Hall and open during office hours. It’s free!
- Little Free Libraries: Make free use of these small bookcases, installed here and there on the territory.
- Memphremagog Library: Complements the offering of our local library. The Municipality refunds the cost of the annual subscription upon proof of payment.
The Municipal Park features:
- swings and other playground equipment
- a Community Toy Box
Toy Box User Manual:
- Take out a toy
- Play with it
- Put it back in the box
- Skating Rink
The outdoor skating rink at the Municipal Park, 22 Millington Rd., is open from mid-December to mid-March (weather permitting) for hockey and public skating.
- Student Transportation
The Memphremagog MRC provides transportation services to students travelling to Sherbrooke for their studies. For information:
The Municipality offers subsidies or rebates to Austin families for:
- The purchase of reusable diapers – look under the “Environment” tab
- The cost of the annual membership to the Memphremagog Library – look under the “Recreation and Culture” tab
- The surtax on sports charged by Magog to non-residents – look under the “Recreation and Culture” tab
- Summer Day Camp
Austin Day Camp – Summer 2023
Enrolment period from May 1 to June 1, 2023
We are happy to announce that our traditional, seven-week day camp is back in 2023.
Our team will be happy to welcome your children at the Municipal Park and under our big top.
- 26 June to 11 August, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- 25 places
As places are very limited, priority will be given to children:
- whose parents are permanent or seasonal residents of Austin
- whose parents are working this summer
- who have special needs
- who are enrolled in the camp full-time and for its entire duration
At the close of the enrollment period, we will send a survey to assess your needs in terms of child-minding services before and after the camp.
Please complete the enrollment form* (one per child) and return it to the Municipality by latest on June 1, 2023.
The enrollment form is in French only. If you require assistance to complete it, please call the Municipal Office at 819 843-2388; we will be happy to help you.