The Municipality’s vibrancy cannot be sustained without the presence of youth. By enticing young families to live, work and play here, we will energize our community and gain the means to achieve a sound intergenerational balance.
The following is a directory of the services and activities available to young families in Austin.
- Austin Families on Facebook
Familles d’Austin/Austin Families
This bilingual group has been created on Facebook to bring together Austin families with children 0-18 years and promote exchange between them. It is a closed group so you must identify yourself to join in. Two Austin moms act as administrators.
- Community Events
Austin’s Recreation Committee hosts a variety of community events for both children and adults. The announcements are made:
- Austin Livres-service Library: Look up the children’s book collection at your local library, located downstairs at Town Hall and open during office hours. It’s free!
- Little Free Libraries: Make free use of these small bookcases, installed here and there on the territory.
- Memphremagog Library: Complements the offering of our local library. The Municipality refunds the cost of the annual subscription upon proof of payment.
The Municipal Park features:
- swings and other playground equipment
- a Community Toy Box
Toy Box User Manual:
- Take out a toy
- Play with it
- Put it back in the box
- Skating Rink
The outdoor skating rink at the Municipal Park, 22 Millington Rd., is open from mid-December to mid-March (weather permitting) for hockey and public skating.
- Student Transportation
The Memphremagog MRC provides transportation services to students travelling to Sherbrooke for their studies. For information:
The Municipality offers subsidies or rebates to Austin families for:
- The purchase of reusable diapers – look under the “Environment” tab
- The cost of the annual membership to the Memphremagog Library – look under the “Recreation and Culture” tab
- The surtax on sports charged by Magog to non-residents – look under the “Recreation and Culture” tab
- Summer Day Camp
Austin Day Camp – Summer 2021
We are pleased to announce that the summer day camp is back this year, but in a slightly different format.
As in 2020, we will follow the recommendations issued by the Camps Association of Quebec and by Public Health. We will continue to find creative solutions to comply with all public safety guidelines, including physical distancing and sanitary measures. Our primary goal remains to ensure that the kids have fun in a safe environment!
- The camp will be held under the big top set up over the skating rink.
- Camp counsellors will be assigned to the same group all summer.
- Outdoor activities will be encouraged.
As you may already know, we have had some difficulties hiring staff this year. As a result, we have had to make changes to the start date and duration of the camp and to the number of children we can accept:
- Six weeks, from July 12 to August 20, from 8:30 to 4:30
- 18 children (9 children per employee, to take into account the experience of our young counsellors)
As places are very limited, priority will be given to children:
- whose parents are permanent or seasonal residents of Austin
- whose parents are working this summer
- who have special needs
- who are enrolled in the camp full-time and for its entire duration
- who are camp regulars
At the close of the enrollment period, we will send a survey to assess the needs in terms of child-minding services before and after the camp.
Please complete the enrollment form* (one per child) and return it to the Municipality by latest on May 10, 2021.
The enrollment form is in French only. If you require assistance to complete it, please call the Municipal Office at 819 843-2388; we will be happy to help you.