The Municipality’s vibrancy cannot be sustained without the presence of youth. By enticing young families to live, work and play here, we will energize our community and gain the means to achieve a sound intergenerational balance.
The following is a directory of the services and activities available to young families in Austin.
- Austin Families on Facebook
Familles d’Austin/Austin Families
This bilingual group has been created on Facebook to bring together Austin families with children 0-18 years and promote exchange between them. It is a closed group so you must identify yourself to join in. Two Austin moms act as administrators.
- Community Events
Austin’s Recreation Committee hosts a variety of community events for both children and adults. The announcements are made:
- Austin Livres-service Library: Look up the children’s book collection at your local library, located downstairs at Town Hall and open during office hours. It’s free!
- Little Free Libraries: Make free use of these small bookcases, installed here and there on the territory.
- Memphremagog Library: Complements the offering of our local library. The Municipality refunds the cost of the annual subscription upon proof of payment.
The Municipal Park features:
- swings and other playground equipment
- a Community Toy Box
Toy Box User Manual:
- Take out a toy
- Play with it
- Put it back in the box
- Skating Rink
The outdoor skating rink at the Municipal Park, 22 Millington Rd., is open from mid-December to mid-March (weather permitting) for hockey and public skating.
- Student Transportation
The Memphremagog MRC provides transportation services to students travelling to Sherbrooke for their studies. For information:
The Municipality offers subsidies or rebates to Austin families for:
- The purchase of reusable diapers – look under the “Environment” tab
- The cost of the annual membership to the Memphremagog Library – look under the “Recreation and Culture” tab
- The surtax on sports charged by Magog to non-residents – look under the “Recreation and Culture” tab
- Summer Day Camp
The Fireflies’ Summer Day Camp welcomes 25 kids aged 5 to 12 at the end of the school year, for a period of 7 weeks.
This year, the camp will be held from Tuesday, June 25 to Friday, August 9, 2019.
The camp is held at the Municipal Park’s sports chalet (22 Millington Rd.), Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (the kids eat lunch at the camp).
A child-minding service is also offered:
- in the morning from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m.
- at the end of the day, from 4:30 to 5 p.m.
Register in person on Saturday, May 4, 2019 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Municipal Park’s Sports lodge.
Preference will be given to full-time enrolment (five-day week), but part-time registrations will be accommodated based on availability.
At registration time, you must have in hand :
- A completed Registration form
- The child’s health insurance number
- Your social insurance number
- A proof of residence
- Your cheque book
The cost of the summer day camp is payable in full at registration time. (Child-minding services will be billed weekly, based on usage.)
Please consult the information sheet for the fee schedule.
Our Day Camp personnel will be on hand to greet you on Registration Day, and you and your children can lend a hand in preparing the Camp’s educational garden.